Review of Angel Olsen's 'Big Time' Album: All The Good Times? Fuck 'em

Last summer, I had a horrible breakup with a couple of friends, and this album was one of the forces that got me through it. I listened to "All The Good Times" non-stop to get over the hurt of the separation. Little did I know, I was about to experience what the lyrics were really about a year later. Now, I am mad. From the end of March until today, I’ve been giving my time to a guy who was probably broken beyond repair. This guy strung me along while making me feel like everything was my fault. The emotional mess that I am went with it because he was too traumatized, and I sympathized with that. Fixing someone’s problems seems easier than fixing your own mess, right? Well, in this case, I found out it’s not. My favorite song from the album appeared at the right moment, and I said to myself, “Let’s go through this again, but this time review it.”

Angel Olsen first appeared in my life when I heard her song "Sister." The outro of that song grabbed me immediately. I played it as I often do until it no longer came to mind. Not with all, but with some of her songs, especially on this album, I feel the same way. Not to mention her incredible duet with another artist I came across around the same time, Sharon Van Etten, on "Like I Used To," with that great video that I love. After the last year’s shenanigans, while listening to some of the songs from this album, I was ready to review it as soon as the vinyl was set to arrive. Sadly, that delivery fell through. Happily, my idea to review only what I have on vinyl also fell through, and today, after another heartbreak a year later, I am ready to go through my feelings listening to what Olsen has to say.

The album starts with my favorite song from Angel Olsen. "All The Good Times" captures without missing a beat what is happening with me at this moment. Amazed by this connection with the artist, every time I played it, the feeling wouldn’t let me play the other tracks until I was done with it. I love this song; it’s so powerful and captures perfectly this familiar chain of events that leads you to this state of mind. The song allows you to get mad; through the lyrics, you can own the feelings you have and get over them (eventually). Mad like her, listening to this harmony between the melody and her voice, I play every live version because, at every concert, she channels the energy and lets you know exactly how she feels. During one of my favorite live versions, after she sings, “Would it bring us together again?” she adds, “No, definitely not,” laughing, or in other versions, “You only embarrass yourself when you say cheap shit,” and my personal favorite, where she goes off with, “You know what? Fuck 'em! You know, that’s what I’ll say—Fuck 'em! Thank you for nothing...” with a feeling in her voice that resonates deeply today. You know what? I’m just going to add a link to the lyrics of this song. If you want to understand how great the song is, check them out here, in case you need it.

The album has another nine songs that are worth exploring. This wild west sound explodes in the title track. "Big Time" is a grower. I’ve listened to this song before, but the more I hear it, the more I fall in love with the simplicity in it, the gentle guitar, and Olsen’s voice. "Dream Thing" and "Ghost On" follow the previous track, creating cohesiveness in the sound of the whole project. This album is one I could play from start to finish because every part of it connects to the state of mind I was in when I pressed play. "All The Flowers" is a song you need to play a couple of times and focus on the lyrics. "Right Now" surprised me. I felt this song. It also felt like I was hearing the other side singing to me about what I was doing to them. Of course, the other side wouldn’t bother to think so much, but the song definitely brought some thoughts to process, becoming one of my favorites. "This Is How It Works" delivers. The calm melody and lyrics explain an interesting point of view worth exploring when I come back to the album. This is only the first time I’m hearing these songs. Sometimes I come back and add, seeing how my feelings about the project change. "Go Home" is another hit I’ve listened to many times in the past year. Spot on, exactly where I am. This song easily taps into the never-ending pool of feeling out of place, after a car crash of a relationship, simply not belonging. Olsen’s voice is impeccable and transcendent. Her otherworldly cry sounds more like a banshee. The dramatic fusion between the astonishing backing vocals and instruments, especially during the verses and the chorus, creates this sublime storm. "Through The Fires" reminds me of an old Hollywood song mixed with Angel Olsen’s vision, creating this ethereal track that ends too quickly. The end of the album, "Chasing The Sun," follows that Hollywood/mystical vibe. The intensity of the last song increases where Olsen lets us hear her raw vocals. After dimming her voice to evoke this ''afternoon sunny feeling'', her talent throughout this experience delivers a powerful ending. These soft melodies that she decided to end the album cured my heartbreak. I can't wait to dive back into this project, which I will do tomorrow. I fell in love with it and the sound so easily; I can't believe how much I postponed listening to it.

Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show