Review of Garbage's 'Beautiful Garbage' Album: Lightning Strikes for the Third Time


On the first listen, the third studio album by the band doesn't reach the excitement created by 'Garbage' and 'Version 2.0.' After listening to the conversation between Joe Rogan and Shirley Manson, I realized what Manson meant when she explained how it feels to fight for the spot that artists often reach upon entering the industry, only to see it slip through their fingers. Getting more niche occurs when the band starts creating their own identity, yet this album sounds the most like a POP album compared to any of their previous work so far. The new project has some RnB and POP elements and rhythms that are easy to miss under Manson's vocals and the guitars, but they are there. This album has the least recognizable music so far; to be honest, only one song stuck with me years before I opened it again last week. I bet you know which song stood the test of time. 'Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)' is a powerful anthem that will play well even after 30 years on my life's soundtrack. Are there any other hits?

I feel like this is one of those growing-on-you albums because I feel better and better about the songs here after every listen. This is the energy I need to replay something, and this album provides it. It is rare to be able to press play and let the music just go till the end, but is it good enough to pay attention? Even though I was vibing to the first three tracks, one of which is the single 'Androgyny,' I realized how special the album would become on the fourth song. 'Till the Day I Die' has become my number one, only because the excitement around 'Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)' faded away after my millionth listen. On my first listen, I was in my own drama and 'Cup of Coffee' played as the first song that I put my mark on. Not every project is for every time. Different tracks hit differently, depending on the mood and the time you listen to them. Art often opens whenever you are ready to see, listen, and absorb. Now I am happy, the drama is over, so 'Cup of Coffee' hits differently, yet the melody and Shirley's voice never miss a beat. The lyrics are always on point. That is one of the things about the band, for a third album now, they know their stuff. Incredible lyrics and good outros are what I have come to expect from them. 'Silence is Golden' delivers exactly that. This album is a grower, I have decided. After going through the past albums and half of the new one, it is hard to recognize Manson's voice in 'Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!).' I remember watching the video way back when I first encountered the band, absolutely blown away by this masterpiece. Still relevant, still strong, the outro is on point as usual, and the excitement of this single is totally back. I remember hearing this song at the beginning of the month when I was at their concert, amazed by how good it sounds. The beers were one too many, and for a couple of hours, I thought they sang it twice. Little did I understand back then, I was just confusing 'Stupid Girl' for 'Cherry Lips' or the other way around. It was long ago; sometimes going back one month can feel like a second, and sometimes it feels like three years. 

The lightning strikes a third time; although the sales of this album are down compared to the last two, following this decline doesn't mean the quality changes, only that fewer people recognize that. I love this band and Shirley Manson is one funny dame. I always appreciate her love for the queer community and her understanding of our struggles. You should go and check out the conversation with Rogan that I mentioned earlier right here. Totally worth the time. I liked a lot the peek behind the curtain of the music industry, which left me more open to search for new artists and support them, so they can become like Garbage, with their own label. It is good not having the big giant studio sucking their juices, killing them with the executive smile of a business, hiding behind bureaucracy and documents, making their talent sign when they were more vulnerable. I am listening to the Mariah Carey audiobook, where the peek into this industry is also super interesting. Until I came up with the last couple of minutes of written content, several songs from the album played. 'Breaking Up the Girl,' 'Drive You Home,' 'Parade,' and 'Nobody Loves You' are also growing fast on me. This album opened up on the second listen and I can't wait to revisit it tomorrow, where I will be even more appreciative of the artistry here. 'Untouchable' is another song that has super 2000 pop vibes. 'So Like a Rose' is a beautiful ending to this new album. The new sound of Garbage is noticed and is growing through the ages, saving them a seat in the consumer's mind, making them relevant almost 30 years after their first studio album. 'Beautiful Garbage' has a remastered version that I am sure is worthy of exploration. 

Garbage came into their own after their first two projects, and I can't wait to hear their complete art after 2011 when they started their own label 'Stunvolume.'

Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show