Review of Róisín Murphy's Album 'Hit Parade': A Must-Listen?

While listening to this new piece for the second time, I found myself vibing more than the first round. This is my first vinyl experience, and it is a good way to dive into this new album and the mind of Róisín Murphy, whom I love from her previous work. The art of this album is screaming at us. Very conceptual, with a point of view, but I found myself in need of something more.

The last album stuck with me, and I have a hard time transitioning to the new one, which is funkier, cooler, calmer, and extremely different but still captures the essence of the creator, moving it forward. Do I like the direction?

In "Róisín Machine", we witnessed the peak of a career with masterpieces like "Something More" and "Murphy's Law," among many others that helped me spiral into a new wave of house music mixed with incredible lyrical poetry. The result is one of my favorite albums of all time, with some of the greatest music that is now part of my life's soundtrack. Here, I'll need more time. Do I want to give it? Of course.

This album is actually unfolding while I am writing this, so I strongly recommend a second or third revisit of the album while writing a short review of it. Let's go over every part of it, piece by piece, with a couple of sentences and dissect this project.

Review of Róisín Murphy's Album 'Hit Parade': 

The first touchpoint to this album was way back in March with the very positive and catchy "CooCool." Immediately, I felt the song's vibe; I needed the energy it provided and understood the cool entry to the new Róisín Murphy era. It still carries those house-funkadelic vibes from the last album. I guess it is a cool way to fuse your albums with such ease.

Next, I witnessed "The Universe." Continuing the vibe from the last song, here we find ourselves in a short psychedelic story that could uplift you with soft summer vibes flowing through the speakers.

"Fader" came and went. I was not impressed. The song felt very formulaic. The music was okay, I guess. Here, I started to worry about what we were getting ourselves into. Of course, the melody grew on me and became this jazzy hit, and I started to walk with it, feeling like I was at a funeral in New Orleans. But still, I hated the child's voice at the beginning of the music video. The album provided me with a range of almost every emotion; it feels like a journey, which is a tip for the creator.

"You Knew" started, and I didn't give it enough chance. Now, I am giving it a chance, and of course, it sounds like it belongs here, but do I recommend it? I am sorry to say it sounds like filler. I reserve my right to change my opinion (hopefully).

I think I found that this album is going in another direction with the next entry, which is the first track on the album. But before I got to know the original version, I heard the Moodymann remix. I guess the vibe is similar to the last tracks that I mentioned, but here you feel like there is no turning back from the more angry and confident beats of "Róisín Machine" on the road to this chaotic symphony that is "Hit Parade". Coming down from the remix, you hear the original downtempo version as a perfect invitation to the new album.

The fourth track of the album continues this funkadelic wave of sounds. "Hurtz So Bad" started, and I wondered to myself, "Yes, I could vibe at home or at some bar to this, but man, I am craving for a more upbeat continuation of the last album. I need more confidence in the delivery." The lyrics are good; it feels like a letter to her fans, so I feel personally touched. I hope I give her the right signals, and she is alright. The song progresses, and I feel it.

The next track is already on. "The House" sounds like it came directly from the "Overpowered" era mixed with this new funk. This track got my confidence in the album right back again.

"Free Will" cements that this album has an overarching arc. It definitely sounds like a connected project. Still, I need something more, but I am incapable of not loving it (eventually)?

Man, we are close to the end, and I feel cheated. "Can't Replicate" starts, which sounds like "one for them." This track definitely belongs on the last album. It feels more clubby than the previously dissected tracks. This actually teases and delivers. I feel like I am at the party, dancing, feeling myself, and this infusion of house music works my body. Oh, it's over. Damn it.

"Crazy Ants Reprise" is on, and it hits me: the similarities between this album and "Aerial" by Kate Bush. Of course, one delivers, the other leaves you wanting more.

"Two Ways" tripped into it's own trippiness. I can vibe at home while I am writing a review of this song. It's very chaotic, and trap music was never my thing. I'm hoping to be taken to another level with the next one.

"Eureka" is the album's conclusion, and this song is a lyrical masterpiece; I love it. However, it's too slow for the club.

Overall, this album leaves you wanting more, with lots of teasing and little delivery. The potential is there, but my opinion is biased because of my love for the last one. Will you be able to transition with ease from the last one to this, or will you be annoyed that you are left behind like me? Still, pre-ordering this album as vinyl and waiting to be discovered after gifting it to my friend for his birthday yesterday turned out to be a great experience. That's why the first review of our first record is late. I checked the playlist for her upcoming European tour, and I am delighted that Róisín Murphy is playing her greatest hits. These are the songs that belong in the venue I am attending on 8 March, just one year after this project caught the public eye with the release of her first song, "CooCool," which remains the highlight of "Hit Parade."

Iliya Badev


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show