Review of Mashrou' Leila's (راصوك) 'Raasük' Album

The third project opens with an emotional prologue that introduces the band’s new sound. Here, they sound more niche and experimental compared to their first project, tackling familiar themes that affect every human being, yet which we often keep to ourselves, never releasing the stress. This is why artists are so important—they give a voice to the things we are afraid to say. Remaining true to their culture and faith, Mashrou' Leila ignites a fire with their new album and lyrics. There are some EPs sprinkled throughout their career, as well as notable collaborations worth mentioning and exploring. I will check their body of work one by one, going through all of the band's art in chronological order.

Among all the Arabic bands and singers, Fairuz and Mashrou' Leila are the closest to me. I realize this immediately after the second song, "Abdo," ends. The name "Abdo" brings back emotions that are difficult to control. "Ala Babu" heightens those emotions and cuts deep into my mind. I am immediately struck by the poetry. You don’t need to translate the lyrics to feel the emotion in the voice and melody of the band, but once you understand what the singer is conveying, it’s like they’ve given you a key to their soul, allowing you to walk around their mind. "Ala Babu," translated as "At His Door," may be the most beautiful song on this project. The lyrics are so close to my heart that it hurts to listen to them; at the same time, I feel liberated knowing I am not the only one who feels this pain. I am not alone in struggling with a love that prevents you from leaving, even though it might be the best choice for both. Recently, there has been much discussion about toxic relationships, once referred to as passionate love. We try to fix ourselves by changing the language and turning off our minds from the feelings that control us, but sometimes these feelings are so powerful that escaping them seems like a mistake. Mashrou' Leila taps into these emotions effortlessly and preserves the essence of romantic love in their music. Why do you think they can tap into these emotions so easily? Perhaps because, in their culture and many parts of the world, this love is still considered taboo? I am deeply saddened that the band decided to part ways, but hope never dies within us. We expect them to come together again because their presence is needed.

"Taxi" reminds me of a poem my Egyptian teacher once showed me during my integration course in Germany. The poem was very depressing, addressing the inevitability of death and how we all travel in a train—some get off sooner than others, but the direction remains the same. In this song, the train is replaced by a taxi, and Mashrou' Leila shares this painful realization that, while we can change direction and visit different places and people, ultimately, the taxi will take us to the final stop.

"Skandar Maalouf" contrasts the deep, concentrated pain of the previous song with a sense of playfulness—until you translate the lyrics. Once again, the band delivers incredible poetry that reminds me of something I heard while watching the Shōgun series:

“It’s a saying they have, that a man has a false heart in his mouth for the world to see, another in his breast to show to his special friends and his family, and the real one, the true one, the secret one, which is never known to anyone except to himself alone, hidden only God knows where.”
— James Clavell, Shōgun

Like the saying goes, the song screams of people trying to hide their true selves, not letting their real colors shine, living in fear of what might happen if the world understands their inner selves. "Skandar Maalouf" is a lyrical masterpiece that cements the band as honest and open artists, reflecting the world they live in.

"Lil Watan" continues the protest against mass conformity. The herd tries to crush you into obedience, never allowing you to be yourself, even though you harm no one. The story is as old as the world itself; those who are different are easily singled out because they stand out from the crowd, and the sheep never like anyone to be above them. Another beautiful song. Recently, I have been looking into the Arab world, observing a gay Arab struggling with faith and what the Quran says about homosexuality, and how he lives in the shadows. There is no room for interpretation; due to faith, I feel his pain, even though we feel alive when we are together. This constant struggle between two worlds is familiar and real. It is painful to be crushed by fate and by the people you call family—brothers and sisters—into obedience. Even though I am not a believer, the crushing demands of society in Bulgaria and the homophobic attitudes of those closest to me, including my mother and father, made it difficult to leave. I found myself in a different country realizing that there is nothing wrong with me, while my love feels there is something wrong with us.

Mashrou' Leila speaks to me and the feelings I am experiencing right now. "Bishuf" feels familiar; the lyrics hit hard. This album turned out to be a great experience and the therapy I needed. Songs like this one, and the title track "Raasuk," are not easy to slow down. It is impressive to hear this band sing their hearts out with some of the most powerful lyrics I have heard in a while—their truth. Am I the only one who sees a man playing an instrument while carrying a life jacket on the album cover? I immediately connect this to the help this album provides, the life-saving quality of this music, and how art can always save us.

"Wa Nueid" feels like a Gotan Project piece, capturing a single feeling and stretching it with a magical voice into a melody that once again carries powerful lyrics. The song evokes the constant problems the band faces, trying to explain their art repeatedly while under attack from conservative hate.

The end of their third album features Erik Truffaz, a Swiss jazz trumpeter, who contributes a jazz performance for the outro of the project. The song starts softly with a beat that showcases Truffaz’s trumpet abilities, fused with Sinno’s vocals. It’s an incredible performance. I love when a band experiments and explores new directions while remaining true to their culture. This blend of traditional elements with jazz sound at the end of the album includes some of the most beautiful lyrics that are pure poetry. After going through this album, I can confidently say it is the best so far. Of course, I have more to explore, and I can't wait to dive into the sea of beautiful music and extraordinary poetry that Mashrou' Leila has created over the years. It’s frustrating to know that the band is no longer active.


                                            My favorite beach in Bulgaria, Irakli

Sea (Bahr feat. Erik Truffaz)


I stand on the shore, looking at the sea,

Its waves tell me stories I don’t understand.

In the depths, I see the reflection of my heart,

And I wonder if it’s you I’m searching for.

The sea is vast and deep,

But my heart is lost among its waves.

Every wave that crashes is a call to you,

Yet the distance remains without a bridge.

In the silence of the night,

The sea whispers your name.

But the echo fades,

And I remain in my solitude.

The sea is a mirror to my soul,

Endless and infinite.

I dive into its depths,

Hoping to find what I have lost.

Yet every shore I reach,

Is just another new beginning.

The sea is a promise of what’s to come,

But my heart remains lost.

In every wave, there’s a piece of you,

But I cannot grasp what I seek.

The sea and I are one,

Bound by what cannot be spoken.

And in its boundless expanse,

I find comfort in my search.

Mashrou' Leila

Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show