July Movie Pick: 'Abigail' - A Surprisingly Good Watch

After the pandemic and rediscovering the comfort of my own home, plus adding a huge brand-new television that serves as our cinema, going to the movies has become an unpopular activity. An activity that lately costs at least 40€. Since the Dortmund cinema (cinestar) refused to refund and cancel one of my ticket mistakes, I totally lost interest in paying this amount once, sometimes even four times a month. I even told the brainiac how business-oriented they are and why I would never enter a cinema under their umbrella. I miss Zamunda, but we tip the artist, etc., we try to be fair. The other day, we rented 'Abigail' for 5 bucks, and the next night, we did the same with the new Godzilla vs. Kong movie. One of those turned out to be a stupid decision, and the other was a win. Can you guess which movie made me ashamed that I watched it in the first place?

Yeah, let's first trash talk about the huge disappointment that is 'Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire'. A huge letdown from the previous one in terms of visual effects. It had some funny moments, and the monsters had so many human qualities that I swear Kong was about to say, "What the fuck," right before Godzilla attacked him in Cairo, Egypt, and destroyed the pyramids with his ass. The main woman, played by Rebecca Hall, Dr. 'I have an answer for everything that makes no sense,' made this film almost unwatchable. What a childish movie. Please remind me next time when I want to spend 5 bucks on such crap, how I felt watching this movie.

On the other side, I remain happy about 'Abigail'. Very surprised by the acting, the cast, the premise, the bloody kills, and the story. The only thing that disappointed me was the marketing campaign. Spoilers ahead. If I didn't know that Abigail is a vampire when I pressed play, my mind would have been blown away. I saw the surprise unfold on my friend's face because I kept him in the dark about the details, trying to see the result of a well-kept secret. This is 'M3GAN,' but much better. If I have to be honest, they could have gone further with the horror elements, hoping that they feel the same if the movie continues in a second part. The comedy was good, the thriller was intriguing, and where it had scary parts, I got excited and scared. Vampires have always been an interest of mine—Twilight, From Dusk Till Dawn, you name it, I have watched it. Here, the mythology around the vampires is fascinating—the way they turn and how they can control their victims' bodies is fascinating. The way Abigail moves is also part 'M3GAN,' part 'True Blood' with the necessary comedy for such a horror. This movie is actually a good way to spend time, and I will support it by recommending it to you if you are up for such mysteries. If you want to convince someone who is not familiar with the movie business, doesn't follow the latest, forgets quickly, or has no idea what to watch, try to withhold the information that Abigail is a vampire. This way, the movie serves many twists and turns that transform the experience into a great mystery. Enjoy.

Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show