Review of Kylie Minogue's 'Tension' Album


After the finale of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 16, where Miss Banana Republic Nymphia Wind completely devoured the lip sync against Saphirra Crystal during 'Padam Padam,' I was reminded of the greatness of Minogue. Usually, this is an artist that I often forget, and to be honest, after hearing 'Padam Padam' when it came out, I thought to myself it was not for me. This final lip sync did something with that song, and I absolutely blame the Banana Buddha because she awakened my will to stretch and become a rubber, as well as my love for Kylie Minogue. This whole time, I had love for this artist, and I needed a reminder.

After hearing 'Padam Padam' for three weeks after the finale, while watching it on YouTube every day at least twice, I decided to give the whole album a try. I went to Spotify, downloaded the 'Tension' album, and pressed play. The whole playlist is absolutely Minogue, and after a while, I found myself vibing to the entire album. There is just one song that I do not like, and that would be '10 out of 10,' but as a whole, the compilation feels very uplifting and true to the artist. I could just press play, and it wouldn't bother me to keep going in the city, looking good and feeling fine.

Not long after staying in this new music, it hit me that I used to listen to songs from the last album as well. 'Supernova' was first heard again on RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars 7, where Shea Couleé and Monét X Change destroyed that lip sync for the win. After that, I heard 'Say Something' and 'Magic,' which immediately became part of my personal life soundtrack. I remember having a problem with 'Supernova' lyrics, where Kylie sings that Jupiter and Mars are from another galaxy. My scientific mind wouldn't allow such nonsense, even if it is just to keep the rhyme. I don't know, it just bothered me.

Skipping to a week ago, I rediscovered the whole hit disco collection from Kylie Minogue and more. I was positively reminded of the power of this artist, and now I am just searching for a place where I can attend a concert. 'Slow,' 'Miss a Thing,' 'Come Into My World,' 'Love at First Sight,' 'Spinning Around,' 'Can't Get You Out of My Head,' 'In Your Eyes,' 'Red Blooded Woman,' and my personal favorite, 'Get Outta My Way.' Boy, what a collection to have. I mean, you can play this playlist of every song that I mentioned here and have a great day, keeping the disco vibe and the optimistic view alive. The last two albums actually fit great with that vibe, and they are immediately part of her legacy. I feel like her understanding of the gay culture, as well as her support, has just made her success today. We love our Kylie Minogue.

Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show