Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show


The moment it began, I was thinking to myself, ‘Should I go down this rabbit hole?’ And I did because I really like Brie Larson. I have to say that even though I had some pretty revelations, and some parts were well-made, and of course, the actors were doing an incredible job, I dare to say that I will not watch it if I have the choice once again. This turned out to be a horrible idea. I am definitely not the desired audience for this show, and I am pretty sure for the book. Sometimes the pacing was bad, sometimes we were going back to the past for no reason, and the talking dog… spoilers ahead. 
The first two episodes were very interesting, not from the beginning, but they had my attention. I felt their newborn love. I found it very fascinating that both of them were looking into the creation of mankind and different theories about it through the lens of science. I like that they were two outsiders who met each other at the right time. And kudos to the actors because in just 2 episodes, they made me believe in their relationship, and by the third episode, I was feeling the devastation that was written on Brie Larson's face.

Then the 3rd episode started, and by the end of it, I was completely sure that I do not like the story. Some of the transitions in this episode were incredible, and the passing of time portrayed with the emptiness that took over the expression of our main characters was one of my favorite aspects of the show. Even though the devastation of losing her lover was masterfully done, and Brie Larson really carried these scenes like a professional, bringing her A-game, the talking dog was such a retarded idea and opposite to all that was built before that.

Until then, I was enjoying the Oscar-worthy grounded performance by Larson hand in hand with her peer played by Lewis Pullman (who is a hottie). There was seriousness and reality to their experience, and I was stun that in that reality as well as in ours, accidents happen, just like that. I was impressed that they killed a very interesting main character so fast and so early, and then the f***ing dog starts to talk and narrates the story. I immediately felt ashamed that I am watching this. And I know I said that sharing negativity is not cool, but for me, this is the way to deal with this massive disappointment and kind of a waste of time.

The dog was such a strong choice, and I really didn’t enjoy it; it was ridiculous and at some point creepy, and I am a dog owner, and I love dogs. Don’t let me start with the kid, not the little actress, the kid from the story. I really do not like smart-ass kids. Shut up. And this thing that Elizabeth says to her audience when she became Martha Stewart and had her own cooking show was so creepy, and the delivery was off: ‘Children set the table, your mother needs a moment to herself,’ and her stoned look and boom, ends the show. I mean, this was revolting.

Those books that made themselves into a TV show are starting to annoy me. I mean, we know how it goes by now; I read and watch them a bit too often. Same tone, different drama. ‘Pretty Little Lies,’ ‘9 Perfect Strangers,’ ‘The Undoing,’ ‘Where the Crawdads Sing,’ ‘Daisy Jones & the Six,’ and ‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.’ They are all created from the same material, and after watching and reading most of them, I feel fatigue for the genre. And it's like the genre is not a particular story; they are different. It is like the genre is the audience that consumes those stories. But if you enjoy this formula, you are probably going to like 'Lessons in Chemestry', except of course if you are not feeling the same fatigue as me at this point.

And yeah, some of the lessons were cool and magnetic. Parts of the dialogue were very clever. When one of the actors (I do not remember who did it anymore; my mind is literally forcing me to forget) said to Larson when she had a problem on her mind, ‘break a leg,’ and without missing a bit, she answered, ‘I am considering it.’ I laughed out loud. Moments like this kept me from switching off. I also appreciate the realization that cooking is vital work after all; that is a very interesting fact that we often forget.

As a man who has lived half of his life in a lie, I found the description of Hell as living in one that consumes you daily to be a hard truth that resonates with my story. And this lie transoform you and changes you into something else.

I also thought that the description of references is funny. A reference is when you don’t want to work with somebody, but he is deciding the fate of your future job. Like I said, in part, the script was very clever, especially when it had honest talks between two mothers. And I took that as the most important lesson from the show. I think that it is vital to be honest, and that is why this review turned into some rant after all, and I decided that I will keep every part of it.

THIS ARTICLE is brought to you by The Modern Don Quixote

With a background rooted in the dynamic realms of marketing and entertainment, armed with a keen understanding of consumer behavior and market trends, Iliya brings a unique blend of creativity and strategic insight to every project undertaken. Into the realm of entertainment, where creativity knows no bounds, he ventures with a passion for exploring new horizons and pushing boundaries. Constantly seeking fresh and innovative ways to engage and entertain audiences, Iliya's YouTube channel and Blog offer glimpses into his creative mind. Subscribing to Iliya's channel @IliyaBadev and My Thoughts Exactly Blog can help support the expansion of his vision. If this article brought you joy and peace, please consider supporting the creator by buying him a coffee ☕️ as a small donation through Ko-fi

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

Review of 'Les Liaisons dangereuses' by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos