November Movie Pick: 'A Million Miles Away'

                                  
Who wouldn’t like to stay positive even when times are hard? Well, I am a little late to the party, but if you are also like me—often late—here is your cure if you feel down. I had already heard good things about the movie when I found it on my Prime Video, and sometimes it's hard to find a good movie for dinner (you know). I pressed play fast. It was such a pleasant surprise to discover this gem, a beam of light in the movie industry and on the streaming platforms lately.

Here, I also try to remain positive and share this wave with whoever is reading my reviews of music, movies, books, while I express my opinions and hopes. What's the point of sharing negativity? We can complain about things in our kitchen talk, but let’s be real; sharing negativity is not cool anymore, it’s lame. So, I'm glad I can share with you that this movie is an absolute blast of good feelings. There are laughs, joy, inspiration, and just enough drama (it’s a biopic, after all). The drama is handled impressively well, pulling you more into the story rather than making you hope for an escape.

The main characters are grounded and funny, and their relationship is incredibly well-realized. Even the cringe moments are cute to watch. To see how they uplift and support each other’s dreams is a great mirror for a good relationship if you are in one yourself. And what dreams are those? One is literally shooting for the stars, and the other wants to create a restaurant that shares the culture and traditions through food and energy (though I feel they could’ve done more with this part of the story).

Both actors are good in their roles, and even though Rosa Salazar (Alita: Battle Angel), playing Adela Hernandez, doesn’t always seem like a professional actress, her natural likeness pulls you back into the performance. Her chemistry with Michael Peña, who is playing José M. Hernández, is incredible. José M. Hernández is an amazing man who knows what he wants and strives to achieve it. The film shines a light on the importance of our heroes, teachers, family, and friends and how each plays a role in your legacy. The support of your circle and how that shapes your path to achieving your goals. The movie particularly points out how persistence often gets you there, which is a great reminder if you feel lost. The other day, I was feeling kind of lost, and this movie cured the sad feeling and replaced it with hope. It's like I needed the energy that the movie provided that night.

The movie has a big assist from the soundtrack, which I listen to every day since I watched it. If you feel down or you are just a sucker for positivity and hope, this is your gem. I cannot stress enough how inspiring this film is. And what an incredible real-life story it is. Share your take on this movie in the comments down below.

Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show