Review of 'Les Liaisons dangereuses' by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos


I know I shouldn't like the main characters so much, but I love them. Marquise de Merteuil and the Vicomte de Valmont, two ex-lovers who wreak havoc in every corner of this book. I know I mustn't enjoy the destruction of so many lives, but this story is so enchanting that I couldn't help myself. By the end of the book, as well as in the movie, there is a crucial moment that is so intense that I still laugh with love about it. Whenever I remember this moment from now on, I will recall it as one of the greatest moments in the history of entertainment, both in books and movies. In order not to spoil the story for those of you who are planning to dive into it, I will be careful with my excitement. But you should know that there is a cultural meaning of gossip, lies, and scheming. We all have been a part of it in one way or another. Without them, society would be something different. So, be the fly on the wall and observe the unfolding drama.

I have to acknowledge that every character is really different and fully realized, making you feel like you are watching real lives unfolding in front of you and not some creation of the author's imagination. And of course, there are some claims that these letters are real; I have yet to believe it, but from the way they are presented, that won’t be so hard.

My favorite character by far is Marquise de Merteuil. Although deep inside her, she is full of jealousy and insecurities, you have to admire the way she carries herself. You can see beyond the discovered letters that this woman has lived and has a lot of experience, most of it bad. That is another thing that I took from the book; you can imagine the lives of the characters beyond what is presented. You can see what has truly transformed her into this ambitious and wanting woman. Her role is complex, and even in the film, Glenn Close truly captures the complexity of the character by playing the multiple layers of the role, sometimes letting her guard down, only to make you wonder if that was on purpose.

The Vicomte was the character that surprised me the most in the book. Although in the movie, everybody is perfectly cast, some of the carefully designed aspects are left out. As soon as you think that he is falling on his back, he immediately turns around. He is vile, lustful, and challenging. Why are villains always the most fascinating characters? When I go back and think about it, I wonder about the motivation of Vicomte de Valmont. Is there love somewhere inside him, or is it just a lustful, violent desire that controls his behavior?

I cannot say much for the other characters without revealing the story. Like I said, in the movie everyone is perfectly cast. I would love if Keanu Reeves was a little older, but still a good choice for Danceny. This is my second time watching it; the first one was when I was a child, years ago, and I didn’t remember or understand much of it, but it still made an impression. 

I must say the movie didn’t fall short after the book. Usually, that happens. They uplifted each other which is rare. While reading, I was admiring the villains (as a villain myself), but watching the movie, I have to say I was able to take a deeper look into Cécile de Volanges played by Uma Thurman, and Madame de Tourvel played by Michelle Pfeiffer. Although in the book, those two and their heartbreaks are presented incredibly well, the performances illuminated their fates even more. I saw the differences between them and how well realized are by the director. I do not want to spoil much, but while watching the movie, my heart was broken, and I have to give props to Michelle Pfeiffer for that.

It took me a month to collect my thoughts on this masterpiece, and I would recommend the book and the movie to anyone I know. I haven’t been so excited about a book in a while. The last book that was so dramatic and enchanting was 'The Count of Monte Cristo,' written by Alexandre Dumas, and he kept it to 10, but here Pierre Choderlos de Laclos kicks it up to 11. These French guys! By the end of the book, I was sure that I will go through the story again at some point, and now I know how I want to do it. I would love to read it with people and discuss it.

Like I said, I strongly recommend both the book and the movie; share your thoughts with me in the comments.

THIS ARTICLE is brought to you by The Modern Don Quixote

With a background rooted in the dynamic realms of marketing and entertainment, armed with a keen understanding of consumer behavior and market trends, Iliya brings a unique blend of creativity and strategic insight to every project undertaken. Into the realm of entertainment, where creativity knows no bounds, he ventures with a passion for exploring new horizons and pushing boundaries. Constantly seeking fresh and innovative ways to engage and entertain audiences, Iliya's YouTube channel and Blog offer glimpses into his creative mind. Subscribing to Iliya's channel @IliyaBadev and My Thoughts Exactly Blog can help support the expansion of his vision. If this article brought you joy and peace, please consider supporting the creator by buying him a coffee ☕️ as a small donation through Ko-fi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show