October Screamfest: Horror Movie Picks

Boy, if you're a fan of horror, like me, you've probably already seen these movies, maybe in the cinema, maybe at home while streaming, but you've seen them. This post is actually for those who are too afraid to watch them but are open to getting scared shitless on this year's Halloween eve. I know you might be from a country that doesn't celebrate this day, yada yada, but it's all about creating an event and enjoying yourself, no matter what you call it.

Okay, last night I watched one of my recommendations, and it really scared me. Today, in the daylight, I was able to think about it a bit more. This year, we have some fantastic additions to the horror genre, so I'll start with the freshest one in my mind from yesterday: 'The Boogeyman':


I was trying to save this movie for October 31st, but I couldn't resist. After watching almost every episode of the new Goosebumps series on Disney+ (reminding myself how great the show was when I was a kid), I decided it was time. We turned off the lights and pressed play. I was not prepared for such a leap from the sweet, childish Goosebumps to this. Right away, you can tell the movie is going to be great. Something happens in the first 5 minutes that sets the tone for the rest of it. I won't spoil the fun, but let me just say that I was scared out of my mind for the rest of the night.

The acting was fantastic. If you've seen 'Obi-Wan Kenobi,' you'll recognize Vivien Lyra Blair (young Princess Leia) as Sawyer Harper. She delivers. I rarely like child actors, but this one didn't play the usual 'I know everything' role. It was like I was seeing everything through her eyes. Whatever she was feeling, I felt it too. The father, Chris Messina, as Dr. Will Harper, had some stuff to deal with in the movie. There is a great scene with one of his patients that is nerve-racking. Until now, I was wondering where I knew this actor from. 'Sharp Objects' with Amy Adams, there. The star of the movie was Sophie Thatcher as Sadie Harper. I knew her from 'Yellowjackets,' where she definitely made an impression. Here she has a lot to do and a lot on her mind. The story is interesting, and the scares are solid. Another great thing about 'The Boogeyman' is that it is a film adaptation of Stephen King's 1973 short story 'The Boogeyman,' which I plan to read in the next couple of weeks.


'Evil Dead Rise' is another movie that shocked me how good it is. This entry in the 'Evil Dead' franchise is the best of all five movies, no doubt. A lot is asked from the actors, and everyone delivers, especially the kids (they probably need psychotherapy just because of acting in this movie). I remember watching it late at night in Amsterdam; we just wanted to see something good. The beginning of the movie is so creepy and disturbing; you are going to be bothered by this one. Of course, this franchise is filled with gore; it's an 'Evil Dead' movie. What I didn't expect was to be put in a position where I really felt as if there were demons and they were possessing, so by the end of the movie, I knew how it looks and how it feels to be possessed. This depiction of it felt realistic. After watching it the second time, some of the magic was gone because I knew what was going to happen, but the initial shock of the first viewing made this one part of my favorite horrors and totally made me check out the others. It's so atmospheric and content-rich, realistic in an unbelievable situation, the kind that I like.


'Talk to Me' - I have no idea how these two dudes made this. When you watch their interviews and videos, you see two brothers, funny, upbeat, chaotic. But when you watch this movie, you see a story unfolding in front of you with precision and seriousness. It's a story about grief and what it can make you do. The two twin directors, Danny and Michael Philippou, bring you this new take on what drugs, loneliness, and this unstoppable void of want can do to you as you dive deep into it. If you stare long enough into the abyss, the abyss will stare back at you. I watched this in the cinema because I didn't go to see the last two suggestions. I wasn't going to sleep on this one. The reviews were great, and I won't spoil more of it. Go and watch it, but be prepared to be disturbed.

Here are some other suggestions from the last years that I wanted to include just because they are interesting, scary, disturbing, and a good watch for your October Screamfest. Share your own horror encounters in the comments.


Iliya Badev

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Kate Bush's Album 'Before the Dawn'

July Movie Pick: 'Deadpool & Wolverine' - The Best PR Movie I Have Ever Seen

Rant on 'Lessons in Chemistry' Apple TV+ Show